Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a hat block you'll only use once - become a member of our hat black library! Gain access to more than 100 beautiful hat blocks from all over the world. Use our in-house millinery workroom, where you'll have millinery supplies, beautiful trimmings and expert support standing by.
How It Works
1. Join the T&R Hat Block Library.
Visit us in store, call or email us to join. We'll just need your name, contact details and a one-off membership fee of $50.
101 Poath Road, Murrumbeena VIC 3163
+613 9504 4476
2. Call us to book in your blocking session.
Our hat blocks may not be taken from T&R premises, so you'll need to book a workspace in our millinery workroom (in the rear of the Torb & Reiner shop).
Monday - Saturday, 9:30am - 4:00pm.
3. Come in and block your hats!
You can use as many blocks as you like during your session. While you're here, ask us anything! Our staff are experienced milliners and millinery tutors, and we will provide a demonstration on the use of steel blocking pins if you need it.
Fees and Charges
Life Membership: $50 - this is a one-off fee.
Use of Workroom: $15 per hour / per person (Minimum Charge)
Hat Blocking Service: $55 per block* - we'll block it for you!
Storage of Work in Progress: Free
Postage: Standard or express charges.
If you are unable to pick up your finished piece from the store, we're happy to post it to you.
- Iron / ironing board
- Hat steamer
- Basic sewing tools
For all your trimmings, simply pop out to the main T&R shop and browse our huge selection of ribbons, braids, flowers, lace, feathers and feature jewels.
What to Bring
You must provide your own steel blocking pins, stiffener/thinner, brushes, thimbles, blocking cord and plastic wrap to cover blocks. This equipment is also available to purchase from the T&R shop.
You are responsible for your own safety and must bring your own safety equipment eg respirator mask, gloves, goggles etc. Closed shoes must be worn at all times for your protection.
Next time you come to Melbourne make the Torb & Reiner Hat Block Library one of your stops. Block as many hats as you like. Buy all your trimmings and materials at the same time. We can post your finished pieces to you if needed.
Steel Blocking Pins - where do I buy and how do I use them?
Buy steel blocking pins
at the Torb & Reiner shop. A quick demonstration, free of charge, on the usage of blocking pins will be provided if needed.
Hat Blocking Service - too busy to block your own hats?
Torb & Reiner also offers members a blocking service. We can professionally block your crown/brim for only $50 per block
- Drop off your fabrics, choose a block and simply arrange a time for pick up!
- Or post your fabrics with a sketch and receive your blocked hat by return mail (postage extra).
Terms and Conditions
- ONLY steel blocking pins allowed. No drawing pins or tacking pins.
- Members must provide their own blocking pins, brushes, thimbles, stiffener/thinner, blocking cord and plastic wrap (to cover blocks).
- Members are responsible for their own safety and must bring their own safety equipment, e.g. apron, respirator mask, gloves, goggles, etc.
- Closed shoes must be worn at all times for protection.
- Hat blocks are to be used ONLY in the Torb & Reiner workroom. Hat blocks may not be removed from the premises.
- Hat blocks and stands must be 'signed out' with a staff member of Torb & Reiner.
- Repair/replacement costs will be charged for any damage sustained to hat blocks or stands during use.
- A maximum of FOUR members are permitted to use Torb & Reiner's Hat Block Library at any one time. Please book to secure a workspace.
- * Not all blocks are suitable for all fabrics. Some techniques will require more time and will incur higher costs. If so we will let you know.